1.08.2014

Project DIY- Gold Silhouettes & Fabric Covered Mats

I don't know about you but one of the hardest parts for me in designing a room is thinking of suitable artwork.  I know what I like and what I don't like but for some reason I get to a point after decorating a room that I feel stumped.  And that usually always comes to choosing art.

One type of art I do like is the silhouette.  I especially love them grouped together as it's a nice twist to the traditional family portrait.  I especially love the ones in bright colors after I first saw in Jonathan Adler's store.  I figured it was a good project to try to DIY.

I decided that the best place to hang this would be in our playroom/office.  The room is painted a bright tiffany blue (which was a mistake by me- but more on that later).

First, I tackled the silhouettes.  I was able to hunt down photographs of each of us taken of our profiles.  I then copied and pasted it in Microsoft Word, cropped them and enlarged each to 7x9.  (I lack fancy photo editing software so Microsoft Word is my go-to).  Next step is to print them out and carefully cut out the silhouette.  After that, I painted over each paper-photo with gold acrylic paint I already had.  And your done- easy peasy.

Next I went to frame them using Ikea Ribba frames but I didn't like how the white backing blended with the matte and frame.  So I got the idea to add a pop of color by covering the mat with fabric.

I bought a half a yard of fabric from Hobby Lobby and went to town to cover the mattes.  I don't have photos of this process but it's pretty simple- I cut out a piece of fabric the same width and length of the matte and glued the edges down so it totally covered the matte.  Then I cut a hole in the center of the fabric and carefully cut diagonally up to each corner of the matte.  When you're done with this, you should be left with four triangles.  I then cut the tip off of each triangle and glued the remaining part to the inside part of the matte.

And here's the finished project- what do you think?







Overall I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out, especially for an afternoon of work.  What do you all think? Have you ever tried diying silhouettes?

No comments:

Post a Comment