1.13.2014

Project DIY- playroom benches

I can't take credit for this idea since I first got the idea after seeing it on iheartorganizing.blogspot.com.  However, the moment I saw it, I knew I wanted to recreate it for our playroom/office.



Here's a list of the materials I used:
  • 2 Ikea Expedit  Shelves
  • 2 inch foam, cut to size to fit on top of the shelves 
  • MDF, cut to size 
  • fabric
  • velcro-tape 
  • staple gun
I think the hardest part of this project was gathering the materials.  It was a pain to get the shelves from Ikea since they wouldn't fit in our car and when I first got the MDF and brought it home it ended up being too big so I had to bring it back to get it re-cut (which thankfully, was free).  The other pain was more financial since the foam was pricey but after searching high and low for other options I finally bit the bullet and bought it at Joann's.  After that though it was super simple.

I don't have photos of this but I first ironed out the fabric and then laid it down on a flat surface.  I put the foam directly on top of that and the mdf on top of the foam.  Next, I pulled the fabric so it was taught and using the staple gun, stapled it directly to the mdf.

Lastly, I had to attach the seat cushions to the shelves.  I chose to use long velcro-tape strips I found at Joann's. I was concerned at first it wouldn't hold up but I have to say it's quite sturdy.





That's pretty much it! For the storage, I went with cloth storage boxes.  Despite their material, I have to say they hold up pretty well and they also hold a ton of toys.



What do you think? Any toy storage ideas that work well for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment